Monday, January 23, 2012

Why I broke up with Prince Chardonnay

While I don't consider SBM a "weight loss journey" blog, or a "healthful living" blog or a "motherhood" blog or "paying off debt" blog, those items are themes in my sunburned life. So I prefer to think of my blog as the "Year of Me" blog. Recently I decided to part ways with an old friend. That friend is Prince Chardonnay. Why? Too many reasons to list, I thought at first. Then I realized that listing them would provide clarity, insight and catharsis (say it together, ahhhhhhhh.....) So herein lies the list of reasons, an obituary of sorts, as to why I had to sever my relationship with the Prince. RIP my love:

1.) Calories in a bottle of chardonnay, such as Barefoot, is 581 calories for the bottle. Oh did I mention that I drink the entire bottle? Yes, while I love those in my friendship circle (more like a square) who can drink "a glass" (said in a sarcastic tone with emphasis on the ssssss's) of wine to unwind, yeah, for me it's the bottle. The entire thing.

2.) My blood sugar is high normal. My body is having some issues processing sugars. While I do eat sweets moderately, I don't drink soda, or sweetened beverages, etc. I have dessert but I eat pretty healthy overall so I can only surmise that most of my sugars are coming from the 19g of carbs in the Chardonnay.

3.) I get a lot of stuff done when I don't have the prince over every day. In fact my energy level explodes! Dishes get done, laundry gets done. I'm a tyrant, but hey look at all the sugars I didn't ingest {insert angry face here}.

4.) Brain damage. I know alcohol causes brain damage and I certainly have lost a few points in the memory category lately. I need my cells heading into my 40's, right? Forget the fact that I am no longer any fun whatsoever.

5.) I'm not a breadmaker. Refer to #2. The Prince is a problem because he causes other problems in my body, chronic problems. Enough said {wink}

6.) The Prince keeps me from accomplishing my goals. Really?! I think so. All the hours (and dollars) I'm putting into him is keeping me from doing other things. He's a time and money sucker. Not any more.

7.) My liver. I think if it could talk to me it would ask me to let it go on vacation. It's like the one person everyone knows whose work never gives them time off, or calls them in on their vacations, or pays them out for their vacation because there is no time for them to take it. I hate employers like that. I'm that employer! My liver needs to go to Bali, or Disney World or just get stuff done around the house for a week. Go liver, go take some time off. I'll pile your work up for you and it will be waiting for you when you get back. But we fired Prince Chardonnay so you won't have to do his job anymore. Yay!

8.) I can't imagine my life without him. Oh, I typed that! I do love him. I enjoy his company. But I have to learn to live without him or I won't truly live. Or even worse I won't be able to give him up down the line. The time is now.

9.) I am trying to lose weight and he's dead weight. Empty calories, time waster, waist expander! No counting calories with him in my life. Mr. 581!

10.) I want to know what it's like to live without him and not want him. I want my life to be my own. I don't want to use him to cope, or to feel happy or to have fun. I want to learn to do those things on my own. The rest is just a bonus!

There's more, I could go on and on about the benefits of kicking his butt out the door. But everyone has their Prince Chardonnay. For some it's Prince Diet Coke, for others it's Prince Cupcake or Prince French Fry (I know him, hardest breakup ever! {sniff}) But if you stand on your own two feet, then well, nothing can hold you back. Set yourself free from your Prince today. And in a week, or a month, when he comes knocking, you might just decide to once and for all, slam the door in his face.

Cheers to Day 7! {toasting with a glass of sparkling water}

No comments:

Post a Comment