Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why Day 1 is a *$#@%!


Day 1 = you might as well stay in bed. I could stop there and my point would be crystal clear. Day 1 of a diet. Day 1 of a sickness. Day 1 of a new job. In general, Day 1's stink. For me today is Day 1 of giving up wine for 45 days. Why 45 days? Because that's the number of days most people tell you it takes to feel normal after giving something up. Experts say it takes 21 days to break a habit. I like the feel of a calendar month for most things but for me, I wanted to test the theory that you won't feel the loss after 45 days. Normal is not wanting, not craving, maybe not even thinking about what you gave up. Heck, maybe even liking how you feel enough not to miss it. "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." Yeah, right. At least not on Day 1. For me, it's about making the change stick. Making it permanent.

So I'm done with alcohol for 45 days. My reasons for giving up alcohol are varied and those reasons I will post about when I'm stronger. Today is Day 1 and my will is weak. Kids are in bed, there's a good show on TV. Time to relax with the hubby...yet I'm agitated and, what's that feeling? BORED! I'm bored and irritable. I miss my vino.

45 days from now is March 1, exactly 6 days before my 15th wedding anniversary (thank you, thank you...taking a bow). I am planning a surprise getaway for hubster & I to, of all things, go wine tasting! Yes, I will be ending my 45 day vow of vino chastity by going away for a romantic weekend to a B&B to do, of all things, the very thing I gave up! Now if that's not a fine show of fortitude, I don't know what is!

Did I mention that I'm taking the $8-12 per day that I usually spend on wine (2 buck chuck or 10% off a six pack prices people!) and putting it away for the trip? That helps my will, seeing all those bills in the jar. So what about what I said earlier about permanence? Well, I'm still striving for that, but for now it's Day 1 people. Only 44 more to go...and the wine tasting is my holy grail. {I would insert a positive sentiment here if I had one}. Anyone else out there having a Day 1?

No comments:

Post a Comment